Pages

Saturday, July 5, 2014

'The Gap' Fear of beginnings, future, and failure


THE GAP- by Ira Glass

https://vimeo.com/85040589

(Even if you don't read the following blog about this video, WATCH IT. It is very deserving of the next 2 minutes and 18 seconds of your life.)

Hello fellow person, I hope you enjoyed the video.

I come from a world of high expectations. 
I am expected to be happy.
I am expected to work hard.
I am expected to achieve my dreams. 
I am expected to be beautiful
I am expected to be successful.
Obviously 'success' can only be defined by yourself, but I was always told that you will find success if you do what you are passionate about. If only it was that easy.... What are you passionate about? Can you describe it in one word, sentence, major, or career path? Nope, me either. My future is filled with many options, many opportunities for success or failure. But who defines failure? I believe that a fear of failure is born at the beginning of any experience; somewhat ironically unavoidable. I love what Ira Glass says about this dilemma. Glass identifies 'the Gap' as the difference between what you know your potential is and the quality of the content you are actually producing. As a creator, a student, and as a person I believe in my own potential but also see the quality gap between where I am and could be. This is disappointing for sure, but also enlightening. Every person starts their journey at the beginning, so the only way is up. 
I am a beginner. The only thing to do is to try and try again- keep creating until my work is something to be proud of. 
What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail? 
-Robert Schuller


With love and expectations,
Sarah Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment