Pages

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Natural products- worth it?


Aveeno Clear Complexion Lotion: $14 from Target
Pros: Smells good but not overpowering, doesn't make my skin feel oily, and has 0.5% salicylic acid to help with breakouts- I have re-purchased this twice!
Cons: Doesn't help with dry skin patches and not effective for use in dry winter months.
Final say: Worth it! I am now using a daily lotion that has SPF in it, but I am still a fan of this product. The $14 price is questionable, but this bottle lasted me at least 6 months!



St Ives Green Tea Scrub: $8 on Amazon
Pros: Gentle exfoliant that doesn't irritate skin, smells lovely, is oil free and has a low dose of acne medication to combat problem areas.
Cons: Exfoliating isn't always the answer... sometimes moisturizing skin instead of drying out problem areas helps more than you might think!
Final say: Worth it! While I am trying to not use exfoliants as much as usual- this product is my go-to. 

Pros: Smells amazing, leaves skin tingling and refreshed
Cons: It claims to remove 'dirt, excess oil and make-up'. And while I do think it removes oils from my face, I would never use it to remove makeup. I use this product in the mornings to help me wake up and remove any lotion or oils from the night before. A tip: try using this with a dry face! Put some warm water on your hands, then rub in the cleanser all over your face, followed by warm water rinse and a pat dry.
Final say: Worth it!! I love this cleanser. The smell is ridiculously fresh and clean, and I do think it is helping my skin. A win. 

Neutrogena fresh cleansing + makeup remover: $8 on Ulta, also sold at Target
Pros: Smells nice, removes face makeup easily and is a good size for the price.
Cons: None in particular, but it doesn't remove all of my eyeliner or mascara. 
Final say: Ehh.. worth it? I have never been a fan of makeup remover, so I always use a face wash that takes it off for me. This face wash works well and smells good- but isn't anything special. If you are satisfied with what you're using- don't rush out to get this. 

Origins Clear Improvement Face Mask: ($25 for 3.4oz at Sephora)
Pros: Lasts a long time, a little goes a long way, skin feels immediately smooth after, and blemishes decrease. I have had this for years and always go back to it!
Cons: A bit pricey, packaging breaks easily, and product can dry out quickly if left uncapped. 
Finals say: Worth it! Origins is a powerhouse in the skincare department, and this mask has been a cult favorite for years. It seriously works. However, you can get many other dupe masks for a cheaper price if you want- just know that sometimes the money is worth the results!

Korres Mattifying Primer: ($33 at Sephora)
Pros: Smells great, and doesn't feel processed or sticky when applying.
Cons: Doesn't make my makeup last longer or go on more smoothly. Acts more like lotion than primer. Expensive!
Final say: Not worth it. Not only was this product pricey, it was ineffective. Sure it smells good, but it just doesn't keep my makeup in place all day. I now use the Laura Mercier primer!

The Body Shop- Tea Tree Oil: $9.50 for .33 oz 
Pros: Smells delicious, is potent and effective for treating problem areas. Makeup glides on smoothly over areas with the oil on them. 
Cons: Packaging is frustrating and hard to use, is a bit pricey for the tiny bottle.
Final say: Worth it! I purchased a Trader Joe's tea tree oil dupe recently, and it is more astringent and too strong for my liking. All of the tea tree products at The Body Shop are great, and this little bottle is a lifesaver for bad spots without overdrying. 

Bonus! Some natural treats:
Lara Bars: (around $1.30 per bar- order in bulk here) Lara bars are all: gluten free, fair trade, dairy free, soy free, and made with ingredients you know and can pronounce! Thank you Olivia for getting me hooked on these, they are a perfect snack/meal replacement on a busy day.
Some of my favorite flavors: Peanut butter chocolate chip, chocolate chip cookie dough, and the seasonal flavors are always yummy! Pumpkin pie flavor is out now and it is delish. 


With love and nature,

Sarah Belle

Ps. Thank you for all the lovin, positive responses, and support for my last post. While I enjoy writing about dry shampoo and makeup... I love that I am able to take Sarah's Nest in a more serious direction when inspiration strikes. Keep on keeping on, and keep reading! 


No comments:

Post a Comment