Pages

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

November favorites!

The month of heavy rain, Thanksgiving family celebrations, black Friday mayhem, and male facial hair. (good riddance Movember)

Rave: Laura Mercier Oil Free Foundation Primer- $33 from Sephora
Primer is the unsung hero of the beauty world, and every woman should have a solid primer in their makeup arsenal. This Laura Mercier primer feels smooth during application and leaves no sticky residue, not to mention it is oil free and formulated for oily and acne prone skin. It creates a smooth base for foundation and powder application, and helps your foundation to look fresh all day. When applying, keep in mind you can wear lotion underneath or just use the primer on its own- I would suggest doing some test runs to see what you like best and lasts the longest. Laura Mercier also makes a similar primer that is designed to hydrate, another for radiance, and others with high SPF protection. Go crazy.

Read: East of Eden by John Steinbeck
This was required reading in one of my HS english classes, and it has been my favorite book ever since. Published in 1952, the novel takes place in the Salinas Valley of California and is written mainly about the lives of two families; The Trask's and the Hamilton's. With obvious connections to the Cain and Abel biblical story, Steinbeck writes about love, ambition, pride, guilt and freedom in some of the most wise and heartbreaking ways. Seriously, each page has quotes that make you think, reflect, and wonder. If I were to ever get a tattoo (don't worry Mom) it would be 'timshel', one of the main themes from the book about the power to choose, fate, and God.  I am currently re-reading it, and while it may take a while to get through at 601 pages, it is well worth it. It rocks.

Random: Traditional Medicine Tea, Seasonal Sampler - $4 at Target

Being an ex-choir and theater nerd I have developed an extreme passion for tea, especially those that help soothe my throat. During this cold season tea is a great way to battle the elements and sickness in a natural and delicious way. I have always loved the 'throat coat' tea by Traditional Medicine, but the seasonal sampler exposed me to Gypsy cold care, Echinacea plus, and Breathe easy. Standing ovation all around, somebody give these teas a medal.

Repurchase: OPI You Don't know Jacques Nail Lacquer- around $9 at any beauty supply store
Straight up, this is one of my favorite nail polishes of all time. It is a staple in my polish collection, and works in every season. This brownish grey color looks striking yet neutral on so many skin tones, it is mature enough to suit and flatter all ages, and is reliable no matter the occasion or outfit. Especially during the winter, it ends up being my go-to color that I know I will always love. (Ulta has buy two get one free on OPI polish... holiday presents anyone?!)

Reject: Suave Dry Shampoo- $2.89 at Target
Simply not a favorite this month. I wanted to try something new and thrifty, and it disappointed me. The smell was fresh, but when I put it in my hair it felt sticky and stiff. It reminded me of stiff hold hairspray, and I felt yuckier than before. No gracias. Heads up: as a self proclaimed dry shampoo connoisseur I am taking my reviews to the next level with a whole post on Dry Shampoo- a guide for all the lazy sisters out there who simply cant be bothered.

Recent: Bio Oil- $9 on Amazon, also sold at Target
Coconut Oil- $5.99 at Trader Joes
A beauty guru staple, Bio-Oil claims to smooth and tone scars and skin discoloration while directly moisturizing dehydrated skin. It does just that! It smells faintly like sweet cinnamon, and I have been applying it before bed a 4 days a week for a few weeks now. This bitter cold weather has been drying out my skin, and the Bio-Oil is really helping to calm the angry dry spots. I originally bought it to help lessen dark marks on my skin from acne scaring (hooray pale skin), and I have already seen some improvements. Really promising, and a great deal for the results!
All credit goes to Olivia for this one for making me try the glory that is coconut oil. I had heard of people using coconut oil for all kinds of things from lotion to hair masks, but I had never tried it. While I don't necessarily recommend using this on your face if you are prone to breakouts, using coconut oil on your body as moisturizer is amazing. You have to let it soak in for a while before putting on clothes or touching anything, but it is the best attack on my dry winter skin that I have found. Not to mention its cheap! Head to Trader Joe's or any grocery store, a jar of this will cost about $6.00 and last you a year.

That's all folks! I hope you're December is merry and bright!

With love and favorites,
Sarah Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment