Pages

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Belle's beauty- Kiko Milano

Let me tell you a little story about language barrier. I was hanging out with some Spanish girls and singing One Direction (as you do) and one of the girls mistakenly sang "take your fart away" when the lyric was "take your heart away". I burst into merciless and immature giggles. She had no idea why I was laughing at her and then when I calmed enough to explain it I couldn't... no Spanish class I took ever taught me how to say fart. I lacked the basic communication needed to tell my friend why saying fart was potentially embarrassing. After some creative word use and hilarious miming, she figured out what I was trying to tell her and laughed, unabashed at her mistake. Now how does One Direction, Spanish and farting relate to makeup? Allow me to enlighten you.

One of the things that I was most excited for during study abroad was the shopping. No lie, the retail industry and sheer level of style in Europe is in a league of it's own and I wanted to experience everything, buy everything, and try tons of new brands. That is how I discovered Kiko! I had heard a bit about them from various bloggers as being a cheap alternative or dupe for MAC products so when I saw their store in Sevilla- I knew my time had come. Enter struggle #1: I have NO makeup vocabulary. How do you say lip liner? Oil-free? Pigment? Shimmer vs glitter? I was at a loss. 
Enter solution #1: Like my Spanish friend, I learned to embrace my language mistakes and simply tried to communicate the best I could without shame of seeming like a foreigner (Although the cats already out of the bag.. I'm about as different looking from a Spaniard as you can get). 

So without further ado, let me introduce you to Kiko- a cosmetics brand based out of Milan that I fell in love with despite having no idea what the sales associates were selling to me. 

Disclaimer: this is going to be such a tease and for that I apologize. Unfortunately you cannot buy Kiko cosmetic products in the U.S. (YET). But I couldn't not share! So if you are abroad now, are planning a trip to Europe or simply want an excuse for quick trip across the pond- your wait is over and Kiko is here. *Update: YES YOU CAN!!
Product breakdown
(All pricing is converted from pounds to dollars) 

Smart Lip pencils ($3.90): The first thing I ever tried from Kiko! The formula is creamy and strongly pigmented- when I just used the liner and nothing else it stayed on my lips for 8+ hours without awkward smudges or fading. My only complaint is that the color range in the Smart Lip liners isn't very extensive, and the matte selection is even slimmer. But I suppose that is what you get for such a cheap product! If you want to extend your budget, Kiko does make more lip liner ranges with more colors and a 'nicer' formula. 
3 lip product swatches in order of description
'Coral #702' Now I'm not normally a coral girl but I loved this fun, happy and summery shade. However, does happen with darker and more intense shades, the application can be tricky and the color strength doesn't last as long. I have never dared wear this liner on its own because of those reasons, I have only ever mixed it with MAC's 'Cranberry' liner for a coral and pink fusion or I gloss it up with one of Maybelline's Color Whispers (paired below). 

'Pink Mauve #712' This shade is a great dupe for MAC's 'Soar' lip liner which is what Kylie Jenner supposedly uses to get her lips so luscious. Well that, lip injections and professional makeup artist. I love it for everyday wear and the brownish pink tones are flattering on basically every skin tone. 

Smart Lipstick ($6.00): I so regret not buying more of these lipsticks. They have impressive stay power for their price and a bigger color range than I was expecting for their most basic lipstick. The best part?? They smell good! Have you noticed how MAC lipsticks have a subtle scent? Kiko's do the same thing and it isn't overly noticeable or sickly sweet- just a nice treat for your lips and nose. 

'Classic Rose #918' Love, love, love. A classic shade to have in a makeup drawer because of it's 'your lips but better' subtle coloring and shimmer-free formula. 


I have been on the hunt for a quality lip stain for years. It seems like creating an effective lip stain would be easy, but apparently not. At this point I am ready to take a Sharpie to my lips and call it a day. When I found this lip marker (on sale!) I had to try it and it did work really well... for a while. Unfortunately the marker dried out just like any other and the initial application is streaky and uneven. It is definitely not my favorite Kiko product but when I layer it with another liner, lipstick, or even a gloss the coloring evens out and the stain does last for a longgg time. (This layering theory has been proven through multiple 6 hour Spanish night club experiments, so basically it's science)


This purchase was actually fueled by need, which was new for me!! I have always been a faithful Benefit Boing concealer user, but the weather in Sevilla is so hot and humid that having anything that heavy on your face melts right off. I mainly use this for under eye concealer because it brightens up my under eye without looking too forced and also doesn't crease or run throughout the day. Semi-Pro tip: Using a Beauty Blender to apply makes this so easy and look even better.




Kiko Natural Konjac facial sponge ($9.20)
I have been wanting to try one of these for ages but never took the plunge till recently. The Konjac sponge originates from Japan and claims to 'removes dead cells and excess sebum with an effective but delicate exfoliant action'. Well I have no clue what sebum is but I do agree about the impressive exfoliating power. It is so gentle and doesn't irritate my skin, but it does make my face feel smooth and squeaky clean after each use. Plus most other Konjac sponges go for a much higher price, so if you have sensitive skin and are looking for an innovative solution- give this a whirl! 



Kiko Nail Lacquer ($6.00 but on sale for $4)
Leaving my extensive nail polish collection in the US for study abroad was pretty devastating. You may call me silly, but I have an attachment to my nail polish and find painting my nails very therapeutic. So finding these nail polishes was basically a wise investment in my mental health. I love the color range available, they go 5+ days without chipping (base coat and top coat always ladies!!), and the price is pretty unbeatable considering they are almost always on sale. 
207 "French Pink"

211 "French Candy Pink"


Pairings
I paired some of my favorite Kiko products with some other items that can help compliment them, change the color slightly, or allow you to have some variety without too much risk or money! 

1. Kiko Lip pencil in Coral #702
Maybelline color whisper in 'Coral ambition' ($7.00)

2. Smart Lip Pencil in Rose Mauve #712
Smart Lipstick in Classic Rose layered over the top


3. Long Lasting Color Lip Marker in Plum #107
Maybelline Color Whisper in 'Rose of Attraction' ($7.00) to even out the pigment and increase shine



Phew. That was a lot of makeup. How did you like seeing my face close up that many times? Let's do this again sometime. 

With love and wanting what you can't have,
Sarah

How to find Kiko so you can pester them into expanding to the US:
Instagram, Twitter, and their website



1 comment:

  1. Kiko lipstick Pashop VN best. Website: https://pashop.vn/

    ReplyDelete