Pages

Friday, July 31, 2015

July 2015 Favorites

Ah July, you flew by. But really... where did this month go? I feel like it was just yesterday that I was spilling red wine on my white pants on the 4th. What good times. Here is a hodgepodge of things I have loved this month- enjoy!

Rave: Swedish Hasbeens Braided Sky high clogs ($140 at Anthrologie) but if you want to truly copy me you can just pop over to the Galleries Lafayette in Paris. Au revoir paycheck! 
I used to think my Mom's brown leather clogs were the anti-cool but suddenly I am singing a new tune. 70's-esk style is making a major comeback and clogs are coming along for the ride. These trendy sandal style clogs add an extra bit of style and pop of color to any outfit. Not to mention they are they are wooden (whoa), comfortable (craft fair, shopping and dance party tested), and I can be obnoxious and say "I got these in Paris" when anyone asks. (insert sassy girl emoji here)


Rave: Sephora Everyday Eye Brush set ($39)
Having proper brushes is a very under appreciated part a beauty routine! You really can blame your tools when it comes to makeup, and these Sephora brushes prove you don't have to spend a ridiculous amount to find what you're looking for. They are synthetic fiber brushes that still feel soft, have no fallout, and hold pigment really well. A 10/10 for the quality, variety and usefulness of all the brushes and brush cleaner wipes includes. Plus how cute and is that slim opalescent carrying case! 



Rave: Simple Micellar Facial Cleanser Water ($6.99) This is one of those bloggery things that seem pointless and over the top- especially considering there is enough drama about water in CA as it is. #DroughtJokes #toosoon. Yet here we are. On one of my many Target therapeutic sessions, I made this cheeky purchase and unlike my purchase of 4 nail polishes that are all essentially the same, I don't regret buying it. Morning & night I use this product after washing my face with a gentle cleanser. It is perfect for sensitive skin that can't handle harsh toners or irritating scrubs- I pour some onto a cotton pad, wipe over my whole face and watch the makeup residue come off onto the cotton pad. Gross yet immensely satisfying. 
You need this if you A. Have sensitive skin. B. Have issues with dry skin and redness. & C. Are lazy (yes, you. Don't deny it!). 


Rave: Ulta Instant Bronze Tanning Mousse ($12.99) & Sunless Applicator Mitt ($5.99)
Imagine how much Leo wants to win an Oscar- that is how much I want to have glowing tan skin. My lobster tendencies always seemed to get in the way of the bronze goddess look so I have been desperate to find a good self tanner that isn't outrageously priced (cough, St Tropez, cough). After trying a bunch of different products and reading countless reviews I can safely say I have found my favorite. The mousse has a nice scent, dries quickly, and goes on without streaks or patches thanks to the applicator mitt.  I use this every other day after showering being careful to moisturize my feet, ankles, elbows and knees before application. If you're looking to have the appearance of a summer tan without the skin cancer, or orange fake tan this is the one. 




Read: Filler Podcast (FREE)
Although people watching on BART is top notch, my morning commute necessitates some form of hands-free entertainment. Getting squeezed onto the train doesn't allow for much elbow room to play Doodlejump or whatever kids are playing these days. Anywho, Filler is a creative-industries podcast: basically 45 minutes inside some of the most brilliant creative minds out there- most of them in their 20's! It is inspiring, funny and thought provoking plus most contributors are British so it's not too harsh on the ears. 


Random: Trader Joes Gone Bananas ($1.99) in the frozen section
YUM. My new favorite summertime dessert is frozen fruit (blueberries, raspberries etc) with a sprinkling of marshmallows and a few of TJ's gone bananas on top. Relatively healthy, very refreshing and oh so yummy. Basically I should wear Trader Joe's ring on my finger I love him so much. 

Recent: Deliciously Ella ($13) and Oh She Glows ($14) cookbooks
I am on a cookbook kick. After being abroad where I had very little control over what food I ate, I am loving being able to read cookbooks for inspiration, plan my meals and enjoy the fruits of my labor for dinner. Both of these cookbooks are easy, healthy and creative with gorgeous pictures and notes from the authors on each page! From vegan desserts to hearty chili these two make a great kitchen duo. 

Deliciously Ella's butternut squash and eggplant curry with chickpeas: Not only is this recipe delicious, healthy and easy it is also customizable! If you don't like any of the featured vegetables- swap for cauliflower, zucchini, sweet potatoes or carrots. The perfect balance of sweet coconut milk and spice I couldn't get enough of this. But if you do have extra the curry saves well in the fridge so you have lunches ready to go the next day! 

Oh She Glows: Sweet potato and black bean VEGAN enchiladas. These are seriously good and seriously good for you. A light yet hearty alternative to traditional Mexican food, the flavors of this are amazing. Word from the wise: pay attention to Tablespoon vs. Teaspoon. Turns out my family didn't appreciate the accidental 4 tablespoons of chile powder. 


Rhythm: Tom Rosenthal 'Take your guess"

A piano ballad with a twist. It's filled with emotion, random whistling and awesome lyrics that really get me good. I especially love "I took a road that wasn't a road but its something I chose, and that's fine" and I am totally charmed by Tom's quirky music videos. 

With love and what I like,

Sarah Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment